So let me tell you about my day....so far. It's pretty typical, not too uncommon until you hear about my creepy incident that I will get to. Of course there are always the cockroaches I find dead every morning around the house that decided to come out and party while we were sleeping. Then, as I was unpacking my suitcase a spider crawls out of the clothes. Yuck. But I'm used to that by now. Then as I was cleaning up Elly's room, gathering laundry, there was a HUGE spider chillin on the side of her laundry basket. Yuck again. It used to creep me out to smash bugs and I would just prefer to ignore them and hope not see them again. I've been doing a ton better lately and killing the suckers. With it being summer time I've seen alot of people have been complaining about scorpions. One of the great benefits of being a desert rat. We have definately had our share. There was a point I was finding like 2 or 3 a week. I feel I've been dealing with it pretty well. There was the first time I found a scorpion in the house....IN MY BED! I pulled up the covers and out he pops. Freaky. That was when the scorpion thing was new to me and the first summer we lived in this house. We would find them everywhere, mostly in our bedroom bathroom area. And yes, we do get spayed regularly. They are pretty hard to kill with poison. And then there was the time I stepped out of my car bare foot, happened to look down and narrowly missed stepping on one. And another time I walked in from the garage, kicked off my flops and proceeded to walk to the kitchen shoeless when I felt something graze across the bottom of my foot, as I look down I realized I kicked a scorpion accross the floor. Those suckers are fast too, we almost gave up trying to find that one till finally we found in the middle of the floor in the hallway. They blend in very well with our tile and carpet. There was the time that I was about to set Ragan on the floor and noticed I was about to set her right by a scorpion and the time I picked up a dish towel off the floor to wipe Ragans spit up and there was a scorion under it. And the most recent, besides today (I'll get to it) was the time I was in my scrapbook room and Elly came to me screaming "MOM, there was a scorpion right by my head!!" She had been in the theater rolling around on the floor and after searching for the scorpion, about to give up on finding it and wondering if she was telling the truth, I spotted it out of the corner of my eye when it moved. Sure enough it was right in the middle of the floor. I'm amazed she didn't get stung, she probably rolled over it a time or two. I creamed that sucker with the remote. Elly is our scorpion finder, she's come to me about 4 times saying there's a scorpion and everytime there really was. Which brings me to today. If you think any of that is creepy, none of it was anything compared to the scare I had today.
Elly was in the bathroom, calling for me to come wipe her bum. There wasn't any toilet paper so I went to the closet by my bedroom to get some. I was holding Ragan and went to Elly's room to set her down, with the toilet paper in tow. I set the toilet paper right by her on Elly's bed and sat there and played with her for awhile while Elly finished up it the bathroom. She decided she wasn't done yet. So when Elly tells me she's ready now, I pick up the TP and start walking in to the bathroom. Well, on my way there I notice a HUGE scorpion crawl around the side of the TP. Freaked out, I toss it across the room into the red room. People that know my house can picture it better. I run to find a shoe to smoosh it. Yelling at Elly, who is curious about what is going on, to stay there and not move (with a poopy bum). Of course she doesn't listen. When I get back with the shoe, I notice a little lump of moving stuff, as I look closer, I realize it's a bunch a baby scorpions, the mamma was having babies. AHHHH! What do I do!! Well, I kill the mamma, after I run away again to get shoes on, but know that there is no way I could smash the little tiny babies on the carpet, they would go everywhere. As I'm standing there dumbfounded and trying to keep Elly away (she really is too curious, she wanted to get right down there and check it out) I realized I left Ragan on the bed where I had the TP sitting for awhile. CRAP! I go to pick her up and don't see any crawling anywhere. Whew. Just then Nate walks in to save the day. I let him take care of it. He scooped up all the ones he could find. They are so tiny and cling to the carpet. We got the black light out, but the babies didn't glow. Darn. Has anyone seen a scorpion glow in the black light by the way? It's pretty amazing, so unreal. Anyway, we found about 15 babies, I hope we got them all, some were still attached to the mom, but there was about 9 or 10 that were alive and crawling around. I think we caught it right when the babies were being hatched. I don't know if that's the right word because I don't know how the babies are born, but I think they were in a sack on the mom. I'm glad we caught it when we did, otherwise we'de have about 20 little baby scorions roaming around the house. I've heard it's the babies that are most poisonous and most dangerous, sometimes deadly, to babies. My babies are going to be sleeping with me for awhile. But...I don't know, is that the best place for them since my room is the place we find most of the scorpions? Oh, what to do. Maybe we should just sell the house.
Anyone want to come over and hang out yet?
So it freaks me out that I was carrying that TP across the house with a scorpion full of babies just inches from my hand that I was swinging and brushing across my leg, then set it right by my baby while I was oblivious to what was lurking underneath. Sheesh. As I was killing, I kept thinking I was being stung, my ankles, legs, and toes were itching like crazy. I wasn't though. It's amazing that none of us got stung....and never have! Knock on wood. I'm pretty sure it's inevitable that it will happen one of these days.
I sent Nate back to the closet where I grabbed the TP to check if he could find more. He found 2 more on the TP, so we just threw out the new pack of 24 roll TP to the garbage, just in case. My Grandpa came and sprayed again with the stuff that's supposed to be more effective than what the bug man uses. Hopeful that works! Wish me luck.
Now might be a good time to hit me up on buying our house. You might just get a smokin deal. Any takers? Anyone, Anyone? Ya, didn't think so.
I am now accepting pitty comments.


They may look bigger that they really are because they were really really tiny. Like smaller than an eraser on the end of a pencil at full length. I would compare it to the size of a large red ant, maybe a tad bigger. Some of them are still in a little ball attached together and some are still attached to the moms tummy. Gross huh?
I just have to add that when I went downstairs to upload these pictures on my other computer that there was another scorpion on the floor in my scrap room. I'm not even kidding you. Crazy that I'm bloggin about scorpions as I find another one. It's almost dead, it's on it's back, but still squirming around a little. Obviously they came out to play while we were on vacation. I wish they would just LEAVE US ALONE!




16 comments:
That is so bad. I'm so sorry about your problem. That would be so scary. It makes even more scary that you have little ones. Poor becky I will pray that they will all go away for you. Yuck Yuck Yuck. Just reading your about your problem freaked me out. We had that problem in our old house on Thatcher. Not fun at all. LOL
Crista
Can I just say HOLY CRAP! I HATE scorpions! Makes me really not want to move back to a desert area anytime soon! I hope Grandpa's stuff does the trick for you soon!!! Ewww!!!
Okay, now I'm going to have nightmares. Did I mention how much I love leaving in Flagstaff? I hope the bug stuff kills them all! Eek!
AHHH! I live a block away from you - you really shouldn't be telling these horror stories!!!! I'm going to be so paranoid now!!! I can't believe that! I would have been screaming - I'm terrified of scorpions! Thankfully we haven't found very many in our house. Can I just I'm excited for the 2nd Coming so I don't ever have to see another scorpion in my life?!
I really hope that stuff works for you guys!!
AHHHHHHHH! Holy Crap! EWWWW!!! I know what you mean about the ignoring and hoping they'll go away... I do that!
Oh my gosh, I have never heard of anyone having so many scorpions. How flippen scary. Especially around kids. I feel for ya!
Wow! That's amazing no one got stung. Someone is definitely looking out for you and your little fam! So when I lived in az I had a pair of plyers that were my designated scorpion killers. Gross I know, but very effective! You should try it:)
I am never walking bare foot in your house again! That is out of control. I haven’t even seen one yet this year but, it seems that everyone else is having scorpion problems too. SO scary I wouldn’t be able to handle it. You can come hide at my house from those ugly scorpions.
that is insane! i would move in a heart beat, or get really frustrated! i guess your house is too homey for them!! you should get online and see if you can find anything to set around the house to get them to one area?? i don't know enough about them but i sure am glad its you and not me!! jk love ya!
Mom swears by something at walmart that kills scorpions. I also know that there is a tobacco mixture that you put on the outside of your house.
Hey do you think you could hook me up with a cool hot new background. Or teach me how. Love ya
hmmmmm, some things aren't missed, although of course I'd still rather be there. It sounds like you've gotten a lot braver from the time we found that one in one of the trailers. You would've thought there was a huge monster under the bed the way we acted. I'm also really surprised nobody's gotten stung yet, good luck. Hey, we were thinkin of stayin in the red room when we come to visit, but what if some of those babies got missed?
My heck! That's freaky! I can't believe you were towing them around that whole time. Creepy! We used to have a ton of them in our house growing up. I got stung in bed three times and one time i was putting my pj's on and there was one inside my pants. Three more stings there. Not fun! Steven was stung over 13 times. I do not like them! I wish you the best of luck with it! My parents were just glad to move out of htat house for that very reason.
i am iching my legs as i read this thinking there is a scorpion close by... i am freaking out!! so sorry you had to deal with that many.. that's unreal. we have az termite solutions come and we have never seen one in the house and only dead ones outside... good luck!!
BTW.. you will never regret the trainer! :) she had an opening?? have fun, you are going to be sore! :)
Your blog is way cute! I am glad you found me:) Yes, I am married and we just had a little girl June 2nd (as you can tell the blog is devoted to her). Your little girls are so cute-they look a lot like you, especially how I remember you (that was a long time ago!) Anyways, I will be checkin' on you now.
ahhhh! yeah thats freaky!! i think thatcher is the worst place for scorpions that is the only place i have seen them ewww glad no one got stung!!
Okay, I just start itching and freaking out. When we lived in Thatcher, they were so crazy everywhere, the only thing that really minimized them, other than the black light finding and my shoe stomping, was to leave the plugs in my drains. It seemed to help. I swear they are in the sewer lines. Anyway, now I'm itching....thanks.
Post a Comment