Monday, February 1, 2010

Ragan's Accident


One of the worst things as a mother is seeing one of your babies in so much pain. Unfortunately I had to experience it with Ragan a couple days ago. On Saturday, I was running on the treadmill and Ragan got her hand stuck in it. It makes me sick to even think about it and what could have happened. We are very lucky about the outcome.

I had only been on it for couple of minutes when I heard the grinding behind me. Thinking it was a toy or something, I turned around to yell at Ragan to stop. Quickly I realized it was her hand. I stopped as fast as I could and jumped off. It takes awhile for the belt to come to a stop though and it seemed like it took forever! My heart sank when I pulled her hand out. It looked SO BAD! I called Nathan to come home (I'm so glad he was in town) and we took her to the ER. They did an x-ray to check for broken bones and severed tendons. Luckily everything was fine. They wrapped her up and sent us on our way. I'm so glad everything is fine. It could have been so much worse. I've heard of some pretty scary treadmill accidents so I think we are pertty darn lucky.

We saw Dr. Bryce yesterday. He's an orthopedic surgeon. He showed us how to take care of it and said she will be fine and it should heal quickly. Ragan has been such a trooper and hasn't complained much at all. She's been so happy and likes to show people her wrapped up arm. The only time she complains is when we have to change her bandages. It gives me a knot in my stomach when we do it because it looks so yucky and I can tell it hurts her so bad. She's shakes from pain. Poor girl. I wish I could take her place. I think she's already feeling better because she's starting to use her wrapped up hand as a punching glove.

She's adjusting really well only having one hand. It was her right hand and she's right handed. One of her favorite things to do is peel things. I bought some oranges the other day and she was so excited because she loves to peel them. She convinced me to give her one. It didn't take long for her to realize it was impossible to peel one handed. It was kinda funny. She looked at the orange in her hand and then looked at me like "what the heck?" She really is getting good at using her left hand though. Except at Mac and Cheese. If you come look at my chairs and under my table you'll see what I'm talking about.

Here's some pictures I took on my phone. They aren't that great. Pictures don't do justice for how bad it looked.


Ragan has had a rough first week of being 2. She was sick all week with strep throat and an ear infection and then this! Hopefully it will start getting better for her.

5 comments:

JR and Steph said...

OH MY GOSH!! Poor Ragan and You!! That makes me cry to see her hand like that! I bet that was the scariest thing ever. I hope she gets feeling better.

Stacey Mowers and Family said...

That looks painful, poor girl. It brings back bad memories of when Clayton burned his hand in Rocky Point...looked just like that but worse. It's a good thing kids bounce back quickly...give her hugs for me.

Anonymous said...

Ack, poor Ragan!!! She looks way to sweet to have to be in so much pain!! Having hurt kids is the worst. Hope she heals up soon!

Desiree said...

Aw man...I can't even imagine how you felt. Poor girl. But she is using it as a boxing glove huh? I guess that is a good sign. And she is smiling in that first pic!

Anonymous said...

Oh! That makes my heart sick!! Poor girl! Little ones are so tough. I hope all heals well!